Hilfe - Suche - Mitglieder - Kalender
Vollansicht: FELIX DA HOUSECAT
technoboard.at > electronic music > DJ Database > international
thewulf
FELIX DA HOUSECAT
http://www.emperornorton.com

BIOGRAPHIE

Felix da Housecat’s 2001 album, Kittenz and thee Glitz, turned the dance music world on its side as his collaborations with the now infamous Miss Kittin on “Silver Screen” and “Madame Hollywood” and Melistar on “Harlot” and “What Does it Feel Like” spawned a synth club revival. Along the way, Felix gained mainstream press acceptance and was heralded by Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone and Spin as one of the most creative artists in music today.

With DEVIN DAZZLE AND THE NEON FEVER (2004, Emperor Norton), Felix once again has sewn together an album a la hip-hop’s Dan The Automator and Prince Paul which taps the talents of varied producers and vocalists and creates a thoroughly enjoyable ride. Boasting guest vocals from James Murphy of DFA/LCD Soundsystem (“What She Wants”) – “He’s a cool white boy with lots of funk,’ states Felix, Tyrone "Visionary" Palmer (“Ready to Wear,” “Neon Human”), Kate Wax, and an all-girl group known as The Neon Fever (“Rocket Ride,” “Short Skirts,” “Everyone is Someone in LA,” “Hunting Season”) Devin Dazzle and the Neon Fever transcends simple dance, rock or pop music.

While Kittenz had it’s framework squarely built upon DJ and club culture, Devin Dazzle and the Neon Fever is an album built upon punk/post new-wave culture and is deliberately more song oriented. To accomplish this Felix took a new approach. “I decided I wanted to use live musicians for this album,” Felix explains. “I got so tired of the arpeggiated bass lines everyone's using, so I went out an got proper live musicians. I play keyboards because I really wanted to get a live feel for this record."

Talking about some of the cast of characters he enlisted for the album, Felix relates how each had an effect on the superego of the album. The tracks on Devin Dazzle fluctuate between an upbeat spiritual side versus the temptations of the excess of nightlife under neon lights - partying and sex.

The Neon Fever (formerly known as Glamarama) represents the latter. “The Neon Fever are five girls from around the world that represent five different types of women,” states Felix, “I wanted to capture their individual personalities within the lyrics and make their voice a collective through each song. I wanted to capture the inside scoop of guys looking into a woman’s world. I think the result is some lyrics that aren’t what guys would typically write.”

Felix’s Kittenz cohort, Dave the Hustler, introduced Felix to Kate Wax. “I was real impressed with her because although she is a talented and impressive producer in her own right. She was willing to listen and work to improve with me. She’s real pretty and ambitious and for her to go with the vibe it was amazing. ‘Let Your Mind Be Your Bed’ is just the tip of the iceberg given her talent.”

“Tyrone ‘Visionary’ Palmer was the spiritual leader of the entire album and kept me writing about things that were meaningful. He brought a good balance to the record,” relates Felix.

Over the course of 20 years his determination and willingness to re-invent himself have led him to a point that has now included a Grammy nomination, remix work for artists such as Madonna, Garbage, New Order and Giorgio Moroder; to DJ gigs at the world’s most prestigious music festivals. Born in Detroit in 1971 and raised in Park Forrest, outside Chicago, Felix Stallings, Jr.'s earliest influence was his father, a saxophonist who turned him on to classic '70s funk and soul by artists like Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind & Fire. His next major musical epiphany came about when Purple Rain dropped and he became the keyboardist for Shades of Blue, a band that covered Prince & the Revolution songs.

In Chicago during the early '80s, the House music revolution grabbed Felix’s attention. For Felix, it centered around Chicago's 102.7 and the pioneering Hot Mix DJs. "I remember listening to Farley ‘Jack Master’ Funk, Mike ‘Hitman’ Wilson, Micky ‘Mixin'’ Oliver, and Kenny ‘Jamming’ Jason," Felix says rattling off the city's House pioneers. By 14 he too was recording house music on his four-track. A school friend introduced him to DJ Pierre who he collaborated with on their classic house track "Phantasy Girl".

But Felix's tastes weren't limited to a single genre. His senior year he played in Uncut, a band with an R&B-like vibe. After graduation he enrolled at Alabama State and began making hip-hop. After two years in the Deep South (an experience he compares to “prison") he flunked out. In 1991, Felix moved into his parents' basement, studied audio engineering at Columbia College and worked at Eduardo's pizzeria. "It was rough," he says. "I hated those ovens and I kept thinking something's got to give."

What finally gave was Pierre’s once-in-a-lifetime offer. "Once I got to London and saw all those punk rockers," Felix says, "I thought `this is where it's going to happen.'" Armed with a box of DATs, Felix made the rounds. "It was crazy," he says, "I'd walk into a label cold, play a track, and they'd sign it!" He quickly sold "What's Love About" to Freetown Inc and "Thee Dawn" to William Orbit's Guerilla label and returned to the states with more money then he'd ever seen. In 1992 "Thee Dawn" became a European smash and Felix blew-up overseas. "I was producing a track a week for different labels," he says. The next year, the success of "Thee Underground Made Me Do It," and "In Thee Dark We Live," helped further cement his fame. The latter track, released under Aphrohead, was just one of Felix's many production aliases which would come to include Wonderboy, Rocketmann, Outerrealm, Thee Glitz and Thee Maddkatt Courtship.

Felix scored an album deal with Deep Distraxion in 1993 and dropped By Dawns Early Lite, one of the first full-length dance music artist albums ever. Unlike other dance artists, Felix didn't start DJing until midway through his career. "My first DJ gig was in London in 1994 and it was horrible," he says laughing. "I was train-wrecking all over the place." (Now, of course, with DJ of the year honors from Spin and Urb it's a different story.) In 1995 Felix started Radikal Fear records with European distributor Play it Again Sam. Between 1995 – 96, he made four full-length records Alone In The Dark, Metropolis Present Day? Thee Album, Thee Underground Made Me Do It and Rocketman.

In 1997, Felix released the import-only I Know Electrikboy by Thee Maddkat Courtship, an album that despite its limited release, earned Felix reams of fawning press. That same year he played Switzerland and met Miss Kittin and Dave the Hustler. "We got along great and went into the studio and got all silly," Felix explains.

The realization of their “silliness” was one of the most influential dance music releases of the past decade. ”Nobody expected it," says Felix of Kittenz & Thee Glitz's meteoric success, “but it just took off." It’s Moroder-indebted beats, funky synth lines, and insouciant L.A.-meets-Eurotrash vocals captured a moment in time when, after a period of political turmoil, people simply craved "endless pleasure in a limousine." In addition to adoring reviews in The New York Times and Rolling Stone, Kittenz won album of the year honors from Muzik Magazine and Dancestar USA.

Post-Kittenz, Felix has become one of the most sought after remixers and producers on the planet reinterpreting songs by everyone from the Pet Shop Boys to Kylie Minogue to Nina Simone. In 2003 he was nominated for Grammy Award for his mix of Rinocerose’s “Lost Love," released two mix albums entitled Excursions and Bugged Out and began working with artists like P-Diddy, who were eager to tap his prodigious production skills.

With all that said, one inevitable question remains, where did the name "Devin Dazzle and the Neon Fever” come from? Felix being Felix, has an answer for everything: “Devin Dazzle is a character fascinated by the nightlife," he says "Every time he sees neon lights he gets the fever. But Dazzle has a friend named Neon Fever who’s a bad influence on him and is everything opposite of Devin.” So, might this be an autobiographical album? “It’s something personal” he says, “and I’m not gonna tell.”
thewulf
Past Austrian Gigs

Upcomming International Gigs

September 2004

no dates available at the moment
thewulf
UPDATE
LeilaN
UPDATE SUMMER SEASON 2005

July
22 - London - Groove Armada
23 - London - Big Gay Out
24 - Ibiza - Space
28 - Ibiza - Space (w/ Sasha)
29 - Brighton
29 - London
30 - Nottingham
30 - Birmingham
31 - Dublin

August
04 - Venice
05 - Cork - Savoy
06 - Belfast - Shine
07 - Ibiza - Space (Terrace)
12 - Copengahen - Vega
13 - Barcelona - Creamfields: Spain
14 - Belgium - Mystery Lands
18 - Munich
19 - Dusseldorf
20 - Hamburg
26 - Montpellier
27 - Holland
27 - Liverpool - Creamfields
28 - London - TDK Cross Central, Kings Cross, London N1
28 - Ibiza - Space

September
02 - Athens - Venue
03 - Warsaw
10 - Belgium - Thoprock
10 - Brussels - Dirty Dancing
11 - Ibiza - Space
23 - London - Nikki Neighbourhood
24 - Wales - Coolhouse
30 - Strasbourg

October
01 - Bordeaux
02 - Dusseldorf
07 - Belgium - Rock Ternat
28 - Los Angeles: LA Monster Massive
LeilaN
November
23 - Puerto Rico - Arena
25 - Toronto - Mod Club
26 - Dallas - Club Seven

December
15 - Denver - The Church
16 - Seattle - Element
17 - New York - Crobar
18 - Miami - Amika
29 - Linerick, Ireland -
30 - Dublin, Ireland -
31 - Athens - Venue
LeilaN
Tour Dates Spring / Summer 2006:

March
30 - Beijung, China - Cargo Club
31 - Shanghai, China - Club BonBon

April
01 - Singapore - Zouk Club
05 - Bangkok, Thailand - Bed SupperClub
06 - Tokyo - Diesel Party 2006 F/W Collection After Party
08 - Seoul, Korea - W Seoul Hotel
13 - Brisbane - Monastery Nightclub
14 - Melbourne - Public Office
15 - Sydney - Hordern Pavilion
16 - Perth - Inner City @ The Deen
28 - Amsterdam - Club 11
29 - Brussels - Dirty Dancing
29 - Brussels - REAL
30 - Waterford, Ireland - Resistance
30 - Carlow, Ireland - The Music Factory

May
04 - Munich - The Garden
05 - Hamburg - Mandarin
06 - Stuttgart - Zapatta
12 - Dublin - Trinity Ballroom
13 - Belfat City - Shine
19 - Madrid - Danzoo @ Macumba
20 - Girona, Spain - Sala Sel
24 - Graz, Austria - springsix
26 - Glasgow - Pressure
27 - London - Turnmills
28 - Leeds - Leeds Parade
28 - Manchester - Sankey Soaps

June
01 - Vancouver - Caprice
03 - Denver - Vinyl
04 - Calgary - The Whiskey
08 - Edmonton - The Standard
09 - Scottsdale - Myst
10 - San Diego - 4th & B
22 - Newcastle
23 - Antwerp, Belgium - Dirty Dancing @ Petro
24 - Berne, Switzerland

July
08 - Scotland - Oxygen Fest
09 - Scotland - T in The Park
14 - Bilboa, Portugal - Festival
15 - Germany show
21 - Portugal - Hit Club
22 - Italy show
28 - Berlin - Berlin Festival

August
05 - Alicante, Spain - Festival
08 - Amsterdam - Paradiso
13 - San Sebastian, Spain - Electrogala
14 - Gijon Oveido, Spain
LeilaN
Felix da Housecat Video Interview
hippe
wow.. 47 gigs in grad einmal 5 monaten 2006!!!
LeilaN
Spring & Summer Dates 2006

April
28 - Amsterdam - Club 11
29 - Brussels - Dirty Dancing
29 - Brussels - REAL
30 - Waterford, Ireland - Resistance
30 - Carlow, Ireland - The Music Factory

May
04 - Munich - The Garden
05 - Hamburg - Mandarin
06 - Stuttgart - Zapatta
12 - Dublin - Trinity Ballroom
13 - Belfat City - Shine
19 - Madrid - Danzoo @ Macumba
20 - Girona, Spain - Sala Sel
24 - Graz, Austria - springsix
26 - Glasgow - Pressure
27 - London - Turnmills
28 - Leeds - Leeds Parade
28 - Manchester - Sankey Soaps

June
01 - Vancouver - Caprice
03 - Denver - Vinyl
04 - Calgary - The Whiskey
08 - Edmonton - The Standard
09 - Scottsdale - Myst
10 - San Diego - 4th & B
15 - Barcelona: Razzmatazz (SONAR)
16 - Algrave, Portugal
17 - St. Tirso, Portugal
23 - Newcastle
24 - Northern Island, UK - Lush
25 - Antwerp, Belgium - Dirty Dancing @ Petro

July
08 - Ireland - Oxygen Fest
09 - Scotland - T in The Park
13 - Dour, Belgium - Dour Festival
14 - Bilboa, Portugal - Festival
15 - Dusseldorf, Germany - Festival
21 - Portugal - Hit Club
22 - Florence / Pisa, Italy
25 - Alassio, Italy - Club Capannina
28 - Berlin - Berlin Festival
29 - Galway, Ireland - GPO Club

August
05 - Alicante, Spain - Festival
08 - Amsterdam - Paradiso
11 - Portugal date
12 - Portugal date
13 - San Sebastian, Spain - Electrogala
14 - Gijon Oveido, Spain

September
01 - Vienna, Austria -
02 - Barcelona - Electrosonic Festial
03 - Bournemouth, UK
15 - Berne, Switzerland
16 - Leffe, Belgium: Leuringe Fest
16 - Brussels, Belgium - Dirty Dancing
LeilaN
Oct 2006

Oct 13 2006 8:00P
Pawn Shop Miami
Oct 14 2006 8:00P
Vertigo San Jose
Oct 28 2006 8:00P
Monster Massive Los Angeles
Oct 31 2006 8:00P
Lima Lima

Nov 2006

Nov 3 2006 8:00P
Caracas, Venezuela Caracas, Venezuela
Nov 4 2006 8:00P
Cali, Colombia Cali, Colombia
Nov 10 2006 8:00P
Rio, Brazil Rio, Brazil
Nov 11 2006 8:00P
Juiz de fora, Brazil Juiz de fora, Brazil
Nov 17 2006 8:00P
Crobar NYC
LeilaN
Upcoming Shows 2007

Feb 16 2007 8:00P
Fabric London
Feb 17 2007 8:00P
Barfly Liverpool
Mar 4 2007 8:00P
Supremem Court Gardens Perth
Mar 10 2007 8:00P
Doomben Racecourse Brisbane
Mar 11 2007 8:00P
Showgrounds Melbourne
Mar 12 2007 8:00P
Garden of Unearthly Delights, AdelaideFringe Adelaide
Mar 16 2007 8:00P
Ellerslie Racecourse Auckland
Mar 17 2007 8:00P
Royal Randwick Racecourse Sydney
Mar 22 2007 8:00P
Mynt Miami- South Beach, Florida
Apr 6 2007 8:00P
Klubbers Day Madrid
Apr 7 2007 8:00P
Toulouse La Dune Toulouse
Apr 7 2007 8:00P
Toulouse La Dune Toulouse
Apr 19 2007 8:00P
Berlin Berlin
Apr 20 2007 8:00P
Mandarin HH
Apr 27 2007 8:00P
Coachella Indio, California
Apr 30 2007 8:00P
Gloria Koln
May 4 2007 8:00P
Loft 16 Wein
May 5 2007 8:00P
Tanzhaus West Frankfurt
LeilaN
AKTUALISIERTE SUMMER DATES ! ! !

Wed May 21 2008: Debonair Social Club, Chicago, IL, USA
Fri May 23 2008: Slide, San Francisco, CA, USA
Sat May 24 2008: Avalon, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sun May 25 2008: Moon Club, Las Vegas, NV, USA
Fri May 30 2008: Nation, Liverpool, UK
Fri May 30 2008: Paradise Factory, Manchester, UK
Sat May 31 2008: Emporium Festival, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Sun Jun 1 2008: Academy, Dublin, Ireland
Sun Jun 8 2008: Rock Ness, Loch Ness, Scotland
Fri Jun 13 2008: Pacha, Munich, Germany
Sat Jun 14 2008: Oasis, Gijon, Spain
Sun Jun 15 2008: Space, Ibiza, Spain
Thu Jun 19 2008: Razzmatazz, Barcelona, Spain
Sat Jun 21 2008: Ausee City Lake, Linz, Austria
Fri Jun 27 2008: Vogue, Porto, Portugal
Sat Jun 28 2008: Sushi Electronica, Leiria, Portugal
Sun Jun 29 2008: Villa Mercedes, Rour Athens, Greece
Sat Jul 5 2008: Sensation, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sun Jul 6 2008: Space, Ibiza, Spain
Fri Jul 11 2008: Electronica Festival, Istanbul, Turkey
Sat Jul 12 2008: Loft, Ludwigshafen, Germany
Sun Jul 13 2008: Sea of Love, Freiburg, Germany
Sat Jul 19 2008: Festival Mar De Fondo, La Coruna, Spain
Sun Jul 20 2008: o2 World Arena, Frankfurt, Germany
Fri Jul 25 2008: Global Gathering, Stratford Upon Avon, UK
Sat Jul 26 2008: The End, London, UK
Sun Jul 27 2008: Tomorrowland, Boom, Belgium
Sat Aug 2 2008: Loveland Festival, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sun Aug 3 2008: Space, Ibiza, Spain
Thu Aug 7 2008: Industria Cerveria, Vila Nova Cerveria, Portugal
Fri Aug 8 2008: Coconuts, Cascais, Portugal
Mon Aug 11 2008: Sasha, Algarve, Portugal
Mon Aug 18 2008: Paradise Club, Mykonos, Greece
Sat Aug 23 2008: Creamfields, Daresbury, UK
Fri Aug 29 2008: Belo, San Diego, CA, USA
Sat Aug 30 2008: Avalon, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sat Sep 6 2008: City Parade Closing Party, Leige, Belgium
Sun Sep 7 2008: Space, Ibiza, Spain
Sat Oct 25 2008: Monster Massive, Los Angeles, USA
Sat Nov 8 2008: Planeta Terra Festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dieses ist eine vereinfachte Darstellung unseres Foreninhaltes. Um die detaillierte Vollansicht mit Formatierung und Bildern zu betrachten, bitte hier klicken.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.