ZITAT

Having just wrapped up the soon to be published EKS OTUS review, I was intrigued to see what had happened since last Messe with the less touchy Otus RAW render. Well I was treated to not one, but 2 RAWs - both strictly prototype, cosmetically different, but giving DJs the same 2 level madness but in a more physically tactile way.

Please forgive the audio quality on the video - my new point and squirt Kodak Zi6 is a highly powerful £100 HD camera, but sound isn't it's strong point, especially when faced with a hostile filming environment and a subject who is perhaps less comfortable on camera than they'd like. Sorry Sulevi!

Words from EKS HQ:

EKS Unleashes Otus RAW, The World's Most Highly Configurable DJ Controller

New DJ controller features heavy-duty pitch sliders, large velocity pads/buttons, dual layer deck functionality and rugged chassis design

Espoo, Finland - (April 1, 2009) – EKS, creators of the world's most innovative and fully configurable DJ controllers, is proud to announce the debut of their latest innovation - Otus RAW. Designed to work as a single or dual deck controller, EKS' Otus RAW will contains many new features that were requested by professional DJs from around the world. Otus RAW is also designed to fully utilize the possibilities offered by today's and tomorrow's DJ software.

Unlike the original Otus, Otus RAW is equipped with two long and sturdy SL-turntable-style pitch sliders, one for each virtual deck. The Otus RAW also features large velocity pads and buttons allowing for fast and easy operation in a hectic club environment. A layer switch immediately multiplies the layers of controls available on the Otus RAW, resulting in nearly an unlimited number of control possibilities. As with all EKS controllers, the Otus RAW will boast a future proof control ideology that makes the Otus RAW the most highly configurable controller for DJs today and for many years to come.

"The concept for the Otus RAW was simple: take feedback from the world's most well respected DJs on the original Otus and incorporate it into the design of Otus RAW," commented Sulevi Seppänen, EKS' Sales Director. "The original Otus is still one of the finest controllers on the market, but we realize that some DJs prefer the physical control of a SL-turntable-style slider as opposed to a touch sensitive slider. Between the Otus RAW and the original Otus, I believe our engineers have created two of the marquee controllers on the market today."

The 2 units are cosmetically different. The darker more stealth like model is the planned final aesthetic, whereas the one on the right is the working prototype.

An update to the state of the OTUS review. This is a classic example of how the constant march of technology has changed the game. It used to be the case that an analog lump of gear was dumped on my doorstep and it was ready to go. It wasn't going to change or be updated in anyway - it just wasn't possible. But OTUS kept getting updates to drivers and firmware which has meant retesting and rewriting parts of it. Indeed, I had drawn a line under the review a couple of weeks before Messe only to receive an update a few days later that should address one of my key issues. So it's time to revisit OTUS again.

I'm not complaining though - this whole digital age malarky makes life a lot easier for everyone... well perhaps not for hacks like me but you know what I mean.

quelle: http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1193