technoboardLogo

Willkommen, Gast ( Anmelden | Registrierung )

> Nintendo DS Music Apps
Derrick S
Beitrag 29 Apr 2009, 09:23
Beitrag #1

Reality Bites Rec (GER) Ocean Drive Rec (US) Receptive Rec (UK)

Gruppe: tb-Support
Mitglieds-Nr.: 647

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) der gute Jamie Lidell remixing Nintendo DSi

ZITAT

Well, fine, Jamie Lidell. Now you go and ruin it for the rest of us. See, none of us playing with a Nintendo DSi will possibly look as good as you do.

I jest, of course. Jamie Lidell, the wildly-talented vocalist, picks up the new, online-savvy take of the Nintendo DS and breathes cool into it. This is what Sony ads tried to do, but Jamie does masterfully. And, okay, don’t expect the built-in sound app on the DSi to do as much as it appears to be doing here – there’s quite a lot of non-real-time, non-DSi remixing going on, even though what he does do with the simple app is genius.

Thanks to Liz Revision for finding this one.

This does bring us to a burning question: Nintendo and Sony, I’m looking at you. When will we be able to run eccentric and niche music creation apps as official software on your machine? Imagine NitroTracker on the DSi download store or PSPSEQ and PSPRhythm on the Sony Store.

It’s not lost on me, either, that I’ve complained about Apple’s App Store approval for iPhone and iPod touch as being vague and inconsistent with a few apps, while Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft’s Xbox only allow a few apps to ever see distribution. But now that the game makers have online distribution, I wonder if that could change. Movie multiplexes once promised that, amidst a few dozen screens, one would show Bollywood and experimental film. Perhaps these stores could have an “enter at your own risk” category for homebrew. Sony, after all, is desperate to recover sales lost on its PSP. And I have to admit, I think homebrew is, sadly, partly at fault. Homebrew developers and users painstakingly document hacking steps because it’s the only way to get their software on the device – only to have the same system abused by people who don’t want to pay for games.

Korg came out with its DS-10 app for the Nintendo handheld officially, and it was an enormous, runaway success, spawning YouTube virals and entire bands. Now, granted, the app had a major commercial publisher behind it (AQ Interactive), adding credibility – but distribution was limited by the physical cartridge, and the app itself didn’t shy away from Big Boy, niche soft synth controls.

8-bit musicians will likely never touch the DSi, preferring the vintage Game Boy. But a few hard-core gamers are also hard-core handheld musicians. Underground is great, and there’s a certain ethos around hacking. But access isn’t such a bad thing. If just one advocate at Sony or Nintendo would consider it, I think wonderful things could happen.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to see if it’s possible to get a DS homebrew music app running in an emulator on my Android.

quelle:http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/04/28/j...tore/#more-5752

und hier ein tracker:

ZITAT
(IMG:http://media.createdigitalmedia.net/cdmu/images/storiespre2k6/nitrotracker.png) Music creation in your pocket — and a little Metroid Hunters to boot? Believe it. The Nintendo DS is taking off as a platform for homebrewed music creation. First glimpsed via comments here, Tobw has launched his NitroTracker for Nintendo DS. Based on tracker-style sequencers of old, NitroTrack is a sophisticated mobile composition tool, with sampling capability (via the DS’ mic), sample playback, and advanced song creation capabilities. In comparison to other game handheld trackers like LSDJ on the Game Boy, this one is a joy to use: you can just tap with your stylus to edit, rather than having to endlessly scroll with directional pads. The game even takes advantage of the dual screens of the DS for editing. I can’t wait to try it; now I just need to figure out which is the best CF/SD adapter to get for DS, now that I have reason to use it. (You need a memory card adapter in order to load this and other homebrew software on your DS.)

NitroTracker homepage with downloads, screenshots, docs

quelle: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/04/28/j...tore/#more-5752
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Beiträge in diesem Thema
Derrick S   Nintendo DS Music Apps   29 Apr 2009, 09:23
Derrick S   Nintendo DS als Midicontroller:   6 May 2009, 09:43
Derrick S   RE: Nintendo DS Music Apps   3 Nov 2009, 10:11

« Vorhergehendes Thema · > producing Software · Folgendes Thema »

Bookmark and Share

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 Besucher lesen dieses Thema (Gäste: 2 | Anonyme Besucher: 0)
0 Mitglieder:

- Vereinfachte Darstellung Aktuelles Datum: 10. May 2024 - 16:18

Copyright 2001 - 2014 technoboard.at
Die Texte geben die Meinung der Autoren und nicht unbedingt die des technoboard.at Teams wieder.
Alle fraglichen Inhalte werden auf Anfrage und alle gegen die BoardRegeln verstossenden Einträge automatisch entfernt (sobald sie bemerkt werden).
Kontakt: [email protected]

connected by: